Shoes can provide protection and insulation for dogs in certain weather situations, especially in winter. Ice can readily form in the fur between your dog’s toes, increasing the likelihood of injuries such as fractured paws and bleeding. The American Veterinary Medical Association recommends that pet parents regularly examine their dog’s feet. At the same time, take them out in the winter weather and wash their paws of deicer and salt after returning.
You need to find the right shoes for your dog. The shoes will fit well, be easy to use, and work well with your planned activities. It is essential to test out a pair of shoes before doing a lot of training to ensure they fit correctly.
8 Best Shoes for Dogs
1. QUMY Waterproof Shoes for Dogs with Reflective Strips
These best dog boots come in six different colors, including leopard print. They have a wide split seam opening that makes them easily slip on and off. For a secure fit, the boots are secured with two velcro straps. Because both straps are reflective outside, these booties are particularly visible at night. The QUMY Dog Boots Waterproof Shoes are waterproof and have robust, anti-slip bottoms for trail walking and winter weather.
Dog boots are essential because they protect your dog’s feet from getting injured. Measure your dog’s paws to guarantee a perfect fit before ordering since QUMY Dog Boots come in seven different sizes. The product page contains instructions on how to do this.
- An adjustable strap ensures a secure fit.
- The rubber sole is tough and anti-slip.
- Available in many sizes and colors
- Reflective strips for nighttime strolls
- It cannot be washed in a machine.
- Unsuitable for walking on sand or deep water.
2. Protex PawZ Rubber Dog Boots
Suppose you are unsure if dog boots fit into your dog’s routines and activities; PawZ Rubber Dog Boots can help you test that out. These boots are like socks that go over your dog’s paw. They have a rubber collar that keeps them on. You can try out a pack of 12 of them to see if they work for you and your dog.
While the PawZ dog boots are good at keeping your dog’s feet dry, they are not very insulated. They also do not have grip soles. The boots are made from a uniform rubber that is thin enough for your dog’s paw to grip normally in most situations. However, if you are looking for boots for either warmth or intensive hiking, you will likely want to look elsewhere. The PawZ boots are more suitable for anyone who wants something easy to slip on their dog’s paws before mucking about in puddles.
- Affordably priced
- Available in fun colors
- Not meant for snow
- Some dogs won’t tolerate them
3. Rifruf Caesar 1S
The Caesar 1S combines a high-top sneaker style with premium materials that allow your feet to breathe. They even fit like regular sneakers—with a gusset-tongue and padded collar—and are locked down with a hook-and-loop fastener.
The Riff Caesar 1S dog boots are not the best for winter weather. They are made from breathable mesh, so they won’t keep your dog’s feet warm. However, the rubber midsole and grippy outsole make them perfect for long walks or rough ground conditions. And the best part is that they come in eight different sizes so that you can find the ideal fit for your furry friend!
- Made of human-grade sneaker materials
- Can buy sets with bigger front paws
- Design protects dewclaw
4. Muttluks Original Fleece-Lined Dog Boots
Muttluks dog boots will keep the feet of your dog warm and dry. The boots have waterproof nylon outside and a fleece lining. The soles are leather, which is flexible and more like being barefoot. There is a reflective strap to keep the boots on tight. The boots are machine washable, but you will need to re-treat the leather soles with waterproofing wax after each wash.
- Fleece-lined for extra warmth
- Protective, flexible leather soles
- Adjustable strap with reflective material
- Not the best for slippery terrain
5. Ruffwear Grip Trex Outdoor Dog Boots
The Ruffwear Grip Trex Outdoor Dog Boots have rubber outsoles that are the same as what is found on hiking boots for humans. The boots are suitable for rugged trails and different types of terrain. They also have a breathable polyester mesh upper that will keep out debris from the path.
Ruffwear’s shoes are designed with a gusset, which creates a wide opening. The shoe is then tightened around your dog’s leg with a hook-and-loop fastener. They also have reflective trim for safety during the night.
Ruffwear dog boots come in pairs; you should size them to your dog’s front and back paws. They can also be machine washed. Use cold water, a moderate cycle, and light detergent; air dries the boots.
- Reflective trim
- Made for extreme weather and environments
- Sold in sets of two or four
6. Canada Pooch Soft Shield Boots
The Canada Pooch Soft Shield boots are an excellent choice for large dogs. They have a tall profile and fitting features that make them easy to use. The boots are easy to put on, then seal with two separate closures.
The standard hook-and-loop strap with reflective tape goes above the paw, while the separate drawstring toggle closure cinches the top of the boot higher up on your dog’s leg. The polyester shell is stretchy and includes 15 percent Spandex for an easier fit.
The Canada Pooch Soft Shield Boots keep your feet warm and dry in cold and wet weather. They are machine washable: Turn them inside out and use a gentle, cold-water cycle. Then hang them to dry.
- Soft boots for extra comfort
- Protects against snow and mud
- Two ways to secure on the foot
- Not fully waterproof in heavy rain
- Need to hang to dry
7. Qumy Dog Shoes for Small Dogs
The Quay Dog Shoes for Small Dogs have a small range of sizes so that you can choose the perfect fit for your dog. The smallest size is suitable for dogs that weigh six pounds or less. The largest size will fit medium-sized dogs like beagles and French bulldogs.
The Quay Small Dogs boots have two different closure methods. The front can be fully zipped up to put the boots on your dog quickly. Like most other boots, they also include a reflective strap that you can use to tighten them around your dog’s paw.
The Quay Dog Shoes for Small Dogs is water-resistant and insulated, and they have a rubber grip sole. It will make sure that your puppies are winter-ready.
- Affordably priced
- For warm and cold weather
- Reflective for nighttime walks
- Not fleece-lined
- Not machine washable
8. EXPAWLORER Waterproof Dog Boots Reflective Non-Slip Pet Booties for Medium Large Dogs Black 4 Pcs
- These boots are perfect for rainy days when you need extra grip. They have a waterproof upper and a broad, grippy rubber sole. The boots also have a wide slit at the top for quickly slipping on your dog’s paws and a standard hook-and-loop strap closure.
- Rubber sole
- Complicated to figure out sizing
- It can cause some dewclaw chafing
What to Look For
The most important thing about finding the right dog boots is that they fit well. If they are too tight, your dog will be uncomfortable, and their movement will be restricted. But if they are too loose, the boots might slip off, and your dog will not be able to walk as well because they won’t feel the ground.
Different grips are available for various situations. If you like your dog to have the most similar experience to walking without boots, then you should use leather or thin rubber sole. However, if you are going hiking, you should find boots with a lug design, like what you would see on human hiking boots. Whether the rubber sole wraps around the front of the bootie should also be considered, providing a cap to protect your pup’s paws from big rocks.
Most dog boots use a strap closure to keep them closed. This closure is at the narrowest point of their leg. But some boots have extra features that make them easier or more challenging to put on and more or less secure. Wide slit closures are simple to slip on, but they can also make the boots easy for your dog to take off. Secondary features like elastic cuffs, drawstring cords, or zippers may take up a little extra time but will add to a secure fit.
Nylon or nylon mesh uppers are better for warm weather. At the same time, polyester, including polyester fleece linings, is better for winter weather. The materials you value in human shoes also hold for dog boots.
The Best Dog Shoes
While you and your dog are out on adventures, dog shoes can assist keep their paws protected from damage. They can also keep your pup’s paws warm. Dog shoes are also adorable! In this post, we will discuss dog shoes’ benefits. Identify a few of the best dog shoes on the market and discuss some factors to consider when purchasing a pair of dog shoes.
The Top 10 Dog Shoes
1. Kurgo Dog Shoes
Kurgo makes high-quality dog shoes that protect your pup’s paws from hot pavement to ice. These shoes are flexible and have reflective strips and an embedded light-up sole, making it easy for you and motorists to see your pooch in the dark.
- The owners were impressed with the versatile shoes, making them perfect for all four seasons.
- The shoes can withstand repeated wear and tear by most dogs.
- Reflective strips and light-up soles are amusing. They also help your dog be more visible when you are out and about.
- Dog parents appreciated how these shoes protected their furry children with thick but flexible soles.
- These sporty shoes are more expensive than other dog shoe options but have additional features.
- The LED lights in the Kurgo boots cannot be replaced if they wear out over time.
2. Ruffwear Outdoor Boots
These Ruffwear paw protectors are designed for taking your furry friend on hikes. They work well for routine walks and provide traction on slippery surfaces. These shoes, which feature a design that allows air to circulate while also providing a durable sole, will keep your dog safe and comfortable while they are outside.
- People who like to hike with their pets are happy with these shoes because they are durable and allow your feet to breathe.
- Most dogs had no issues with comfort after long walks and hikes.
- People liked how durable the shoes were and how they could be machine-washed.
- The soles of the shoes were solid and flexible, which gave the pups enough traction while out on the trail.
- These boots wouldn’t warm your feet in winter since they lack insulation.
- These dog shoes are not waterproof and will not keep your pup’s paws dry while playing in puddles.
3. CALHNNA Dog Shoes
CALHNNA Dog Shoes are not as good as Kurgo or Ruffwear shoes, but they will do the job. They have polyester uppers, non-slip rubber soles, and reflective strips. They are affordable, so they are a good option for people looking for shoes for their dogs.
- It is an excellent option if you’re looking for an essential, dependable pair of shoes.
- These are some of the cheapest shoes that provide paw protection for your dog.
- You can save more money by buying these shoes in sets of three.
- This shoe is more affordable than others but lacks some features and quality.
- Lifetime warranties offered by unestablished brands are not as reassuring.
- These are not available in large enough sizes for XL dogs.
4. WINSOON Dog Boots
Do you have a fashionable dog? If so, these dog boots may be perfect for them. These boots look like the popular human UGG boots but are for dogs. They are insulated and have a faux leather exterior to keep your pet warm in the colder months.
- These dog boots have a padded and insulated design that keeps dogs warm while they are outside in the rain or snow.
- People who own pets were impressed by how well these boots stayed on their feet for a long time.
- Your dog will love the fashionable design of these shoes – perfect for showing off on walks!
- There are no size options for large furry friends.
- Some owners found it challenging to put dog boots on their dogs.
- While these protect your pup’s paws, they don’t provide as much protection as other options.
5. Canvas Spot Sneakers
These sneakers are really cute and popular with pet parents. They aren’t meant for use in rugged terrain, but they should work well for indoor traction or casual walks. They also look great on your furry friend wearing a costume or outfit.
- Dog and cat owners were delighted with how dapper these shoes made their pets look. They’re perfect for a pet photoshoot or as part of your animal’s outfit.
- Some dog owners found these sneakers ideal for providing extra traction for their dogs while walking around the house.
- Even though they didn’t offer much paw protection from the elements, these soft canvas shoes were comfortable for canines.
- The canvas sneakers are not meant to be worn in bad weather.
- If you have big best buddies, these shoes probably won’t fit them.
6. Walker Paws Dog Leggings
Some dogs do not like to wear dog shoes. They try to get rid of the shoes by kicking their legs. But there is a solution. You can put Walkee Paws leggings on your dog. These leggings will stay on your dog’s feet, even if he tries to slip free.
- Many pet parents found it simpler to put these leggings on their dogs rather than shoes designed for pets.
- Most dogs prefer lightweight leggings to dog shoes or boots.
- People who own pets found these leggings easy to clean. It made them a convenient choice for all types of weather.
- Some pet owners have discovered that these leggings are less durable than traditional dog shoes.
- Because they are not insulated, these leggings may not be the best choice for the colder months.
7. Muttluks Trackers All Season Dog Boots
These shoes, called Muttluck Trackers, can be used in all seasons. A waterproof outer shell makes them suitable for walks in the rain or creek walking. They come in 10 sizes, so they should fit most dogs. The shoes can be washed with cold water and air-dried.
- Muttluks can be worn year-round.
- Protect against sharp objects
- Self-tightening loop-and-hook closure secures around the narrowest part of the ankle.
- They only come in black.
8. XSY&G Waterproof Dog Shoes, with Anti-Slip Sole for Medium Dogs
Dog Shoes from XSY&G are perfect for keeping your dog safe in bad weather. In the winter, the shoes protect your dog’s paws from snow and ice. They keep your dog’s paws off scorching surfaces like asphalt or concrete in the summer. The tough rubber sole provides good traction and prevents your dog from slipping on wet terrain.
These shoes protect your dog’s paws from injuries. They are simple to put on and remove and can be used with or without socks.
- The shoes are weather resistant and straightforward to put on because they are made of high-quality materials.
- The Velcro straps are robust and adjustable.
- Pet paw embroidery that goes with most dog clothing
- Non-slip soles are included.
- Available in many sizes to accommodate various dog breeds.
- They are not recommended for dogs with dense fur around their paws.
9. Hcpet Breathable Dog Booties for Hot Pavement
When the weather is hot and your dog’s paws are sensitive, you’ll want to ensure he doesn’t spend too much time in the sun. While out for a walk, these booties will protect your pet’s paws from frostbite, burns, and blisters.
The breathability of these booties will keep your pet comfortable. They are also easy to clean, which is excellent if your pet gets muddy or dirty.
- Lightweight and breathable
- Material that is long-lasting, stretchy, and breathable
- The Velcro clasp makes it simple to put on and take off.
- The dog booties are versatile and can be worn throughout the year.
- Simple to clean and machine washable
- Available in just two colors
10. CovertSafe& Non-Slip Waterproof Dog Booties
If your dog loves to play in the rain or puddles, you should buy some of our CovertSafe& Non-Slip Waterproof Dog Boots. They are made of high-quality fabrics and have non-skid soles, which will protect your dog’s feet from salt, snow, and chemicals.
The boots are simple to put on and remove. You can adjust the straps to make sure they fit you well. They come in different colors, like red, blue, brown, and green.
- The booties can be machine-washed.
- They come in various sizes and are suitable for all dog breeds.
- These boots are ideal for both dogs and cats.
- The material and construction products are highly durable.
- Ultra-lightweight design that is simple to put on
- Large dogs have no extra room around the ankle area.
10. Kaipets Waterproof & Stain Resistant Dog Shoes & Paw Protectors
Kaipets are made of high-quality leather and have a non-slip sole to keep your pet safe. They come in four sizes to fit any breed of dog, and they protect their paws from the elements. Kaipets keep dogs clean by avoiding mud, dirt, and other messes.
The Kaipet Paw Protector is simple to apply. Please put it on your dog’s paws and tighten it with the hook-and-loop straps. The closure is Velcro-style, so you don’t have to worry about hurting your dog’s feet with ties or buckles.
- Slip-resistant sole
- Water damage is less likely.
- Synthetic suede that breathes
- Simple to put on and take off
- They are light and flexible.
- For warmth, the inner lining functions as a dog sock.
- There is no XXS size for small breeds.
How Do You Determine What Size Shoes Your Dog Requires?
If you’re having difficulty finding shoes that fit your dog just right, here are some pointers to make the process go more smoothly:
1. Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines. The best way to find shoes that fit your furry friend is by consulting the instructions provided by the manufacturer. Because every shoe is made differently, checking your furry friend’s measurements is critical when shopping online.
2. Measure your dog’s paws before shopping for their boots. You’ll save time because you won’t have to measure them every time you go shopping for boots. You can compare the measurements to your dog’s paws.
3. When unsure what size to get, it is best to choose the larger size. You can also consult reviews to get advice on sizing. Different dog shoe sizes may fit differently, so it is a good idea to read reviews before making a purchase.
Why Should You Give Your Dog Shoes in the First Place?
If you are on the border about getting your pet a new pair of shoes, here are some reasons that may sway you:
- Dog boots can help keep your pup warm in colder weather. If you’re primarily concerned with maintaining your dog’s body temperature, choose insulated footwear or lined with a friendly material.
- Shoes can help keep a dog’s feet dry. Some dogs hate getting their feet wet, and shoes can help keep them from getting wet. Shoes can also help when it rains, and the dog comes back inside.
- A quality pair of shoes can help your dog during summertime when the pavement gets too hot for its paws. Pavement retains heat very well, making it difficult and painful for your four-legged friend to walk barefoot. But they’ll be more comfortable strolling around town with a good pair of doggy shoes.
- Dog shoes protect your dog’s feet from dangerous things on the ground, like nails and broken glass. If you live in a busy area, as I do, it can be helpful to have some protection for your pup’s paws.
- Dog shoes protect your pup’s feet from ice melt products and salt. However, not all ice melts are pet-safe; some can irritate the skin or lead to other more severe issues. Dog shoes, thankfully, can protect your pup by keeping ice melts and salt away from your pup’s delicate paws.
- Dog shoes can provide better traction for dogs on slippery surfaces. It is helpful for dogs who tend to slip on floors or in other areas with a danger of slipping.
- They are adorable! Dogs are already cute, but when they wear shoes, it makes them even more attractive.
How do I Put Shoes On My Dog?
It may take some practice to get it right, but it is simple if you follow these steps:
- Touch your dog lightly and see how they react. If they become anxious or uncomfortable, it would be best to try again when they are in a better mood.
- Get down on the floor to be at your pet’s level. It will help you gain their trust and make them less fearful of what will happen.
- Pet and cuddle your dog until it calms down. If your dog gets stressed easily, it may take a few minutes or even longer.
- Once your dog is calm and at ease, gently lift one paw and move it toward you so that the ankle joint is almost perpendicular to the ground. (It helps if another person holds onto his other leg.) Please ensure both of his front paws are on either side of you so he doesn’t fall over while trying to put on his boots.
- Apply some lubricant gel to his feet. Slide each boot over them one at a time. He should be able to walk once they’re on correctly.
Frequently Asked Questions About Best Shoes for Dogs
Is It Good for Dogs to Wear Shoes?
If the surface you are walking your dog on is very rough, it is a good idea to put shoes on them. Dogs have thick skin on their paws that can protect them from most things, but if it is freezing outside or raining hard, their paws will not be able to handle it.
When Should I Put Shoes on My Dog?
There are times when dog boots are necessary to protect your pet’s paws. It may be during extreme weather conditions, when they’re walking on rough terrain, or if they have an allergy or a cut paw.
Do Dog Booties Work?
Dog boots or socks keep your dog from gripping the ground with its toenails. Dogs need their toenails to grip the ground to run and play like they usually do. When wearing dog shoes or socks, it becomes impossible for them to do what comes naturally.
Do Dogs Need Shoes on Hot Pavement?
Their paws require protection from hot pavements when the weather is scorching. Shoes protect your dog’s paws from scorching rocks, boulders, burs, and other debris if you enjoy hiking with your dog.