Dogs are wonderful companions to have at home, but having a dog that sheds can mean more work for you. A shedding dog’s fur might end up on the floor, furniture, and even your bed. Dogs that shed their undercoats on a seasonal basis can exacerbate the situation.
You can solve your dog’s shedding problem by regularly washing your dog with an anti-shedding shampoo. There are many good shampoos for this purpose, so you can choose the one that works best for you and your pet.
Choosing the Best Dog Shampoos for Shedding
When looking for a dog shampoo to help control shedding, it is essential to look for one that is safe, affordable, and easy to use. It is also necessary to find a shampoo that will effectively control shedding.
What Goes into a Great Shed Control Shampoo?
It would help if you got a dog shampoo to reduce shedding while keeping your pet’s coat healthy and strong. It is important to find a product without chemicals that might harm or irritate your dog’s skin. Some dogs with susceptible skin might need completely natural, fragrance-free, sulfate-free, and paraben-free products.
Ideal Shed Control Shampoo Ingredients
An excellent shampoo for shedding dogs should contain the following, in addition to avoiding harsh chemicals, sulfates, artificial fragrances, and parabens:
- Moisturizers – When you wash your dog with soap, it will remove their natural oils. You need to put those oils back so their skin and fur can be healthy. Aloe Vera and oatmeal are two of the best things to moisturize your dog’s coat.
- Vitamins and Fatty Acids –Look for products with Vitamin E in them. Dogs need this vitamin to protect their skin from losing moisture and becoming dry. Fatty acids, specifically omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, are also critical for taking care of your dog’s skin. While your dog should be getting plenty of fatty acids in its diet, giving your dog an extra dose with their shampoo never hurts.
- Deodorizers – You should use a shampoo that uses natural ingredients for your dog. It is important for both your dog’s health and happiness. Natural ingredients, such as herbal extracts and coconut oil will be safer for your pet than synthetic fragrances. These ingredients will also make your pet smell great.
Oster Oatmeal Essentials Shampoo
The Oster Oatmeal Essentials Shed Control Shampoo is a good choice if you’re looking for a shampoo that reduces shedding. It’s made with a natural, pH-balanced, biodegradable formula free of harsh chemicals. Vitamin B5, aloe vera, oatmeal, and natural botanicals are included in the shampoo. It smells like coconut.
Some people like the smell of coconuts, while others do not. However, this shampoo will make their pet’s fur smell great for those who like it! Most importantly, this shampoo helps to control shedding. Some owners have even seen a 95% decrease in shedding.
- Many pet owners experience a tremendous decrease in shedding
- Very gentle on pets with sensitive skin
- Lathers and washes out easily
- Very relaxing scent and feeling for dogs
- Great for dogs with itchy skin
- Made in the USA
- A strong coconut scent is not for everybody
- The smell reminds some people of baby powder
- Some owners still have shedding problems after use
Furminator deShedding Ultra Premium Shampoo
FURminator deShedding Ultra Premium Dog Shampoo comes in two sizes: 16 oz. or a concentrated gallon-sized bottle. This shampoo is popular because it helps keep your dog’s skin and coat healthy while reducing shedding when used as a monthly grooming routine.
The shampoo has natural ingredients like omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, calendula and papaya leaf extract, cranberry seed oil, kava extract, aloe vera, chamomile extract, wheat, and oat proteins. The shampoo also uses natural surfactants that clean your dog’s fur safely and gently.
- One of the best shed control shampoos on the market
- Pleasant herbal fragrance
- Can be combined with FURminator’s conditioner to remove undercoat and replace moisture
- It should be left on for 5 to 10 minutes
- Should only be used monthly unless used with a conditioner
- More effective shed control may be harder on some dogs’ skins
- It can leave a dog’s skin feeling dry if not used with a conditioner
TropiClean Shed Control Pet Shampoo
TropiClean’s Shed Control Pet Shampoo is good for keeping your dog’s skin and coat healthy. It uses natural ingredients, such as lime and coconut to leave your dog with a refreshing scent that lasts. This shampoo has no harsh chemicals like soaps or parabens, and it will not discolor your dog’s fur.
TropiClean Shed Control Pet Shampoo ingredients include purified water, oatmeal, coconut-based cleanser, aloe vera extract, and fragrant extracts from the pomegranate, lime chamomile, and blueberry. TropiClean shampoos are also 100% cruelty-free, and the bottles are made with recycled material! This shampoo is suitable for itchy dogs, dogs with skin problems or allergies, white dogs, and dogs who shed a lot.
- All-around great de-shedding shampoo
- Moisturizes without separate conditioning
- Great for dogs with sensitive skin
- Bottle made from recycled plastic
- The scent is mild and inoffensive
- Gentle shampoo won’t wash off flea or tick treatments
- It does not reduce shedding as much as some stronger shampoos
- The scent is mild and easily overpowered by solid doggy odors
Nature’s Miracle Shed Control Shampoo for Dogs
Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor and Shed Control Shampoo use a unique 4-in-1 formula to remove odor, clean, condition, and deodorize your dog’s skin and coat. The fresh pink peony scent is perfect for neutralizing foul smells found on rowdy dogs who love rolling around in the mud.
Nature’s Miracle Supreme Odor and Shed Control Shampoo is easy to lather and rinse. It is thinner than some other shampoos, but it still leaves dog coats feeling soft, shiny, and smelling nice. This shampoo also has no parabens or dyes. It contains aloe vera, omega fatty acids, vitamin E, and a natural cocoa surfactant.
- Lathers and rinses easily
- Leaves coats soft and shiny
- Reduces shedding
- Great for neutralizing dog odor
- Pleasant natural botanical fragrance
- Cheaper price point
- Thin consistency can require a lot of shampoo for larger dogs
- The bottle can be hard to hold
- The bottle occasionally leaks when shipped
Wahl Shed Control Pet Shampoo for Animal Shedding & Dander
Wahl Shed Control Pet Shampoo for Animal Shedding is an excellent choice for thick, coarse coats on various dogs. The shampoo contains sage, lemongrass, oatmeal, and aloe to help keep your dog’s coat and skin healthy. It reduces shedding.
Many vets, groomers, and other professionals recommend Wahl products. The Lemongrass and Sage scents are notable but not too overpowering. Wahl also says that this shampoo is designed to be hypoallergenic for dogs, which they have tested on their own severely allergic Goldendoodle, Rocket.
- Dramatic reduction in shedding
- Plant-derived shampoo is free of PEG-80, alcohol, and parabens
- Oatmeal in shampoo reduces skin irritation and dryness
- The pleasant but not overpowering smell
- Great for allergen-prone dogs
- Made in the USA
- Some humans can be allergic to lemongrass or sage
- Not recommended for younger puppies to some plant oil sensitivities
- The less prominent fragrance fades sooner than some
Burt’s Bees for Dogs Natural Shed Control Shampoo
Burt’s Bees makes various safe, natural moisturizing products for humans. But they also produce some of the best products for dogs! Burt’s Bees for Dogs Natural Shed Control Shampoo is pH balanced and is suitable for dogs of any age or breed, including puppies. It is 99.7% natural and does not contain sulfates, parabens, SLS, phthalates, petroleum, artificial fragrances, or colorants.
Their dog-based products also include healthy, natural ingredients like oatmeal, avocado, lavender, honey, linseed oil, citric acid, and omega fatty acids. The shampoo’s surfactant (soap) element is just as natural as everything else in this beautiful product: coco betaine. Coco betaine is a natural soap derived from coconut oil, and it is known to be a natural anti-irritant.
- Made almost entirely from natural ingredients
- No parabens, sulfates, SLS, phthalates, petroleum, fragrances, or colorants
- Formula pH balanced for puppies or adult dogs
- Soap uses a natural anti-irritant
- Great at shed control
- Made in the USA
- Natural ingredients leave only a light lather, meaning that you must rinse extra carefully
- A very delicate fragrance that will quickly leave your pooch
Shed-X Shed Control Shampoo for Dogs and Cats
Shed-X Shed Control Shampoo is a gentle shampoo that cleans and exfoliates your pet’s skin and coat. Non-seasonal shedding is frequently caused by unhealthy skin or coats. Therefore Shed-X created this solution to clean while infusing the skin and coat with amino acids, fatty acids, vitamins, and antioxidants. As a result, your dog’s coat will be soft, shiny, and clean.
This shampoo has white ginger and a nectarine fragrance that will last long. The shampoo also contains flaxseed oil, grapeseed oil, oatmeal, and wheat protein. Leave the lather on your pet for several minutes before rinsing to allow absorption of the fats and vitamins.
- Combined with a daily Shed-X dietary supplement for extra benefits to skin and coat
- It prevents shedding by promoting healthy skin and coat, rather than stripping fur with harsh chemicals
- Very gentle for dogs with easily irritated skin
- The ginger citrus scent is long-lasting and not too fragrant
- Not as strong as some de-shedding shampoos
- Not mainly designed for seasonal shedding
- Fragrance can be overwhelmed by more robust dog odors
Nature’s Specialties EZ Out Deshedding Shampoo for Dogs
Nature’s Specialties EZ Out Deshedding Shampoo is a biodegradable, non-toxic shampoo designed to remove undercoats quickly without mess. It is safe for all dog and cat breeds and has been intended to decrease inflammation and dryness.
The shampoo blend aloe vera, silk, panthenol, vitamin A, vitamin D, and vitamin E. You should be diluted with water before usage. The scent of the product is pleasant and light.
- Removes undercoat shedding with minimal mess when combined with brushing
- Subtle, inoffensive smell
- Gentle shampoo is non-irritating to your dog’s skin
- Lathers and rinses easily
- Leaves coat shiny and soft
- The de-shedding effect lasts up to 8 weeks
- The mild smell may not cover stronger doggy odors
- May not remove as much fur as some stronger shampoos
- It would be best if you used with conditioner for the best results
Combining a good shed control shampoo with a regular grooming routine is the best way to remove most of the shedding fur. However, it is necessary to realize that no shampoo will eliminate all hairs in a single bath. The more robust products will loosen the fur to be brushed free later.
There are many reasons why dogs shed. Seasons, health, and damage to the skin can all cause shedding. The best shampoo for a dog might differ depending on the individual dog. However, Oster Oatmeal Essentials Shed Control Shampoo is great for most dogs. This shampoo helps to heal the skin and coat while it cleanses. Owners often notice a decrease in shedding after the first bath with this shampoo. Many groomers also believe that it is perfect for their dogs’ fur, health, and happiness.
These shampoos could make a big difference in your furry friend’s life and reduce the mess you have to clean up every day.
Frequently Asked Questions About Dog Shampoo For Shedding
Does Shampooing Your Dog Help With Shedding?
Bathing your dog helps to clean their coat and remove dead hair. Take a bath with your dog regularly and groom it after drying with brushes or de-shedding tools. It may aid in reducing the amount of hair they lose.
How Often Should You Bathe Your Dog?
In general, healthy dogs with a short, smooth coat don’t need to be bathed often. Usually, baths are more for the benefit of their pet parents than the dogs themselves. However, it’s good to bathe your dog at least once every two to three months.
Is deShedding Bad for Dogs?
Even though de-shedding is helpful and reduces how much hair is on your dog, it doesn’t stop the shedding process. It can sometimes bother dog owners who think their dog should stop shedding after getting a de-shedding treatment.
Does Coconut Oil Help With Dog Shedding?
Coconut oil is a great way to reduce dog shedding. Coconut oil helps with many skin irritations and promotes healthy skin and coats. It is what you want when reducing excessive shedding. Coconut oil also has many other great benefits for your dog’s overall health and well-being.
Can You Vacuum Your Dog?
It is safe to vacuum your dog if you use the right gear and understand the best way to do it. Cleaning at the source will save you time and effort rather than vacuuming the entire house where your dog has shed. Vacuuming with a dog vacuum attachment is an effective way to prepare your dog.
Why Is My Dog Suddenly Shedding So Much?
Your dog’s shedding cycle might suddenly change because hair loss can be caused by parasitic infestations such as fleas, lice, or mites. Ringworm, dermatitis, fungal infections, immunological conditions, and cancer cause hair loss.